Thursday, June 23, 2011

Old Time Favorite!

Old Time Favorite
"Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint, and the soil and sky as canvas."~Elizabeth Murray~

Is there any flower that screams summer more than petunias? Their color vibrant, ready to capture the focal point in any garden. I have grown them for many years with varying degrees of success, depending on the variety. Mostly taking them for granted, as they are readily available everywhere and easy to grow. My relationship with them started many years ago, when my dad helped me plant my first hanging basket. Pinch them back, don't let them get to leggy and don't be afraid, they will come back, fertilize once a week, he would declare. Great advice that I follow to this day. I wish I could take credit for the beautiful basket above, but I cannot. There are two baskets facing each other, framing the entrance to my sister-in-law's backyard. Their playful nature  and whimsical attitude, a perfect choice, lending vibrant color, a beautiful contrast to the shades of green that surround them. 
Sweet petunia's, sweet memories and visual delight. 
What more could one ask of a garden???

Pin It!

4 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

That quote is so beautiful. As are the petunias! I grew them quite successfully last year, but this year they looked pitiful.

Charlotte Wilson said...

Your petunias are a beautiful color! And the quote is lovely as always.

hootnonny said...

You always post a work of art. The petunias are gorgeous; love what the texture adds! Would love a tutorial on this one! (In your spare time, of course!)

Tricia said...

So pretty. Petunias certainly do have an old fashioned charm. My flower of choice every year is geraniums.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...