Monday, June 13, 2011

Just Strolling Along!

The Elusive Sandhill Crane
Finally I captured their essence last evening! They are a pretty common sight here on the golf course or so I thought, until I went looking for them to photograph. They are not easily spooked and their very large stature quite a sight to behold. A full grown adult can grow to 48 inches. Our friends Gail and Sheldon rented here in March on a pond and while eating breakfast a couple of these creatures meandered by Gail, startled she yelled, "come look Sheldon, there are pterodactyls here!" Yes Gail, I can understand the association.
If they look drenched it is because they are. While scouting for them, our golf cart expedition was poured upon. We took cover under a strangers carport for a short while. Emerging from our haven we proceeded to the third hole and there they were, five of them just strolling around. I'll bet eating becomes a feast after a sudden deluge of water. I looked to my left and these two beauties came strolling down from the green right to my waiting lens. Just to darn good to be true. Suddenly they flew off in a remarkable display of grandeur. Their shrilling but distinct sounds difficult to describe. 
I will always remain in awe of their size and their ability to waltz to the peacefulness of nature and grace our landscape. The Sandhill Crane a sight to behold.
 Have a wonderful day!

Pin It!

5 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

Yay! You finally got them. What a wonderful photo. I saw these beautiful creatures at a wildlife preserve last fall. We purchased pellets beforehand and when we'd throw it toward them they'd jump so high it looked like they were dancing. These birds have a lot of personality.

Pat said...

Great photo! They are marvelous-looking birds!

One Photo said...

Fabulous photo, you nailed it and your edit on this one is very nice.

Misty said...

What an incredible shot! Love the texture! I'm visiting from Fabulous Friday's linkup. I also have a Favorite Photo of the Week Challenge over on my blog if you would like to participate. :)http://throughaphotographerseyes.blogspot.com/2011/06/favorite-photo-of-week-contest-week-4.html

Kim Stevens said...

Oh this is just a beautiful capture!! I live on the Gulf coast of Texas and always trying to capture shorebirds, but they are not always fond of having their photos taken. I love the texture as well . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...