Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hornets Have To Eat Too!

Hornets Have To Eat Too
I took this photo at a garden center recently. I couldn't help thinking that I don't remember ever seeing a hornet a top of a flower before. They are usually hiding behind a shutter or some small crevice just waiting to scare the peejeebies out of you! I sat on one once and let me tell you that, it was a site to behold! OUCH!!!!! But as scary as theses little creature are, they have to eat too! There must be some higher purpose in nature for them, I thought. 
I googled, what do hornets eat? 
"Adult food consists of nectar or other sugary solutions such as honeydew and the juices of ripe fruits. Hornets hunt other insects, caterpillars, spiders, and even other bees and wasps to supply protein to larvae. They also chew plant material, like tree bark, to build their nests."
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_food_do_hornets_eat#ixzz1OyIkVBAu
Wow, I'm starting to see a food chain emerging here! The only natural enemy I could find is that of  man and all of his chemicals to rid them from our presence. Well I guess as long as they keep eating other insects, especially mosquitoes, and stay away from any place that I sit, I can respect their place in nature and yes they will always scare the peejeebies out of me! ! Enjoy the photo and have a wonderful day!

Pin It!

2 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

They scare me also, but I can come here and see your beautiful photograph, and be "up close and personal" with them!!
This is a great shot Rosemary!

Gail Dixon said...

Isn't nature fascinating? I'm sure there is a good explanation for the house fly, too, but I could sure do without them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...