Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tropical Architecture!









Gingerbread House


Conch Houses
An Eclectic View
I so admire gingerbread houses, whether they be in Martha's Vineyard, Key West, New Orleans or any city that is adorned with this jewelry layer of ornate woodwork. The ultimate accessory lending charm and interest to any structure!
Although I have been to Key West several times before this tiny little city always offers up new avenues of discovery. There is always something new to grasp and if I've seen it before my poor memory lends me the ability to enjoy it all over again. Enjoying the city sights with good friends a very special blessing!
Strolling the streets with my friend Judy, cameras in hand we meandered about capturing all that struck our fancy! 

Hope you enjoy some of the eclectic structures that I captured! 
A bit of conch house trivia:
 conch house is a style of architecture that developed in Key West, Florida in the 19th century and that was also used in Miami, and rarely elsewhere in Florida, into the early 20th century. The introduction of the conch house style is attributed to immigrants from the Bahamas. 
The conch house, like other Florida vernacular architecture styles, is built of wood, and set on posts or piers, which allows air to circulate under the floor. Conch houses are rectangular, of one or two floors, and usually have a porch across the full width of the front of the house (both floors if the house has two floors). Other characteristics are horizontal weatherboarding or clapboarding, low gabled or hip roofs, and double-hung sash windows. Roofs may be metal or shingled. Conch house designs were often influenced by Classical Revival or Neoclassical architecture. Other than carved brackets and/or rafter ends on porches, conch houses generally lack ornamentation.~ Wikipedia~

Pin It!

8 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

Yes, yes...I was guessing where these were...Mexico? New Orleans? ah, never been to Key West...love the turquoise shutters barred up.
Thanks for the bit of history and architectual information too. Wonderful photos...loved them all.

TexWisGirl said...

the bright colors of the cottages make it such an interesting place! thanks for sharing!

Carole M. said...

how visually interesting the architecture in this region; and doesn't colour DO something to the soul?! I love the second 'cottage' nestled in amongst the palms. The final photo; all rustic 'cepting the coloured shutters; who'd have thought to do that? Wonderful! Great photos.

Gail Dixon said...

Wow, great assortment of photos. One can almost be transported back in time. I love the different house colors and those blue shutters. :) Enjoy your time there.

Unknown said...

Amazing series - I just love your processing - it really makes the buildings pop!

Kathy Reed said...

Of course you are going to make copies and go into business making and selling postcards..unless you do already....great work(pleasure)!

Ms. Becky said...

these photos blow me away. wow. they're just gorgeous. and I also love the old truck in previous post. and the butterflies - amazing. you're a fine nature photographer. happy day to you. and thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit, I truly appreciate that!

Lisa Gordon said...

I want to live in that purple gingerbread house!!!
I'll bet it's gorgeous inside too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...