Monday, March 14, 2011

Curiosity!

Curiosity
"I find that a great part of the information I have, was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way." ~Franklin P. Adams~
OK, so how did it get it's name??? 
The plant Rudbeckia, botanic name for black eyed susan, was named after Olaus Olai Rudbeck (1660- 1740) a Swedish physician and botanist. And while black eyed is simple – the plants have a black eye - no one can figure out who Susan was and did she have a black eye???
The more curious may want to take this further and I know one certainly could. My point, each of us has the ability to learn and keep on learning and the freedom to question, understanding fully well that no question is foolish. Curiosity, elixir for the mind and brainchild for the soul.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." ~Dorothy Parker~
By the way, the Black Eyed Susan is the state flower of Maryland. I did not know that!

Pin It!

2 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

I love Black-eyed Susans! Such a cheerful flower.

Anonymous said...

i love the quote by dorothy parker! and i am curious who Susan is! hmm.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...