Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Autumn Crocus!

Autumn Crocus
"Most people are familiar with the Spring Flowering Crocus, with its small flowers in a variety of colors representing some of the first blossoms to appear in the spring. The Autumn Crocus, however, is unknown to the majority of gardeners. When encountered, it is considered by many to be an over-sized Spring Flowering Crocus that is blooming in the wrong season. While related, the Spring and Autumn Crocuses are not nearly as close relatives as their common names suggest. The Autumn Crocus belongs to the Lily family along with the Lilies, Tulips, and Hyacinths. The Spring Flowering Crocus, in contrast, is a member of the Iris Family along with the Iris and Gladiolus."~google search~ 
Strolling thru the gardens at Blithewold on Sunday I came upon these beautiful crocus. I was truly amazed that crocus, an early spring flower would be in bloom this late in the season. 
We later discovered that they were called Autumn Crocus. A flower I have never heard of before, don't they just make you happy? Crocus, Spring and Fall are the quotations that confine Summer!
What a delightful surprise Mother Nature, Herself, once again had in store for us! 
Have a wonderful day!
Posted to:



Pin It!

10 comments:

Nancy said...

How cool! So many flowers are fading now -- what a nice surprise. Love photo, Rosemary.

Gail Dixon said...

Autumn is my daughter's name. :) These are just glorious! Didn't know there were different kinds of crocus.

Jennifer said...

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden
I bought some autumn crocus for the first time this fall. I am really hoping they look every bit as lovely as yours.

Lisa Gordon said...

I am definitely in this majority!
I never knew there was an autumn crocus.
Just beautiful Rosemary.

Thank you so mich for sharing this at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful evening!

lisa.

Connie Smiley said...

Rosemary, your Autumn Crocus are so beautiful, such a perfect shot, and yes, they did make me happy. Thanks!

Reena said...

I had no idea they popped up in the fall. Such glorious color!

Three Little Piggies said...

Wonderful photo.
Love (P) ,-)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

They looks wonderful too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers!

hootnonny said...

Love them! I shot some in my daughter's garden a week ago. Was surprised to find them peeking up at me from the Japanese Anemoes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...