Friday, May 24, 2013

Corfu, Greece!


such a cutie...he danced away...
a lovely lady...proud of her fresh bunch of rosemary...
love the artistry of the hanging laundry...
So kind...
Fish Spa...
strolling along the waterfront.....
OPA!!! Look at their faces...do you think they know of the chicken dance???
dancing in the streets...
gratitude candle....
love old windows....
gorgeous architecture...
Ride anyone??? Hubby said no before I could ask the price... he is such a romantic
Good bye sweet people of Corfu...

We arrived in The Port of Kerkira, on the Island of Corfu, Greece, Friday, May 24, 2013. First morning photo 8:35AM. It was bright, sunny and yes, finally warm. The port was breathtaking, very mountainous, a light fog added to it’s mystique. Corfu is the fourth largest of the Greek Islands. 
We decided to stay in town and just be. No tour, history, palace, castle, ruins, bones, or otherwise. Just find a cafe, sit and rest, walk or stroll, enjoy the locals and whatever gifts the day would bring. 
Well folks, if there was ever a place to jump ship, this was it! We discussed going back to the ship grabbing our passports and running for the mountains. It was the best day ever. Actually, it was all about the people of Corfu. 
Their kindness, warmth and positive energy, contagious. Most of the the buildings had been here for centuries, holding their dignity well. We discovered small lane ways and narrow streets, filled with the most gorgeous shops one could imagine. There was something for everyone on our souvenir list. Anything from a bar of soap to the most incredible jewelry. You're going to love the soaps kids! Shop owners would greet us, shake our hand, ask where we were from and bless us and our families, upon leaving. No purchase necessary. Some would talk of family living in the United States. I haven’t done much shopping, we had hours to meander. We had to be back at the ship by 4:30PM. 
We met an elderly woman carrying some fresh rosemary! I asked if I could take her picture by pointing to my camera. She gave me a great big toothless smile and a hug to accompany it. She even posed. I welled up, she touched us both. 
We then met a group of six Greek Orthodox priests. I asked the priest with the biggest hat If I could take his picture. Sorry, I don’t know the hats proper name. “Why would you want to do that,” he asked? He grabbed my hubby and said, take it! Wow where the heck was I? Another priest in the group looked straight at my camera and made a sign, of which I was not familiar. Snap, Snap, snap! 
I asked a local to view the photo and what it meant. It startled me a bit! It meant, peace, love, health and a  long life, for me and my family! It was a blessing, she said! Phew!
I learned to say good morning in Greek, Kalemeara. So now, a well educated Greek wannabe, I wished everyone, calamari. Realizing my error, when someone said the fish market was down the street! YIKES! 
I captured a small child dancing to the music of his father and uncle. He was just adorable. People were dancing in the street! We did too! The energy infectious! 
Hubby got caught up into a strolling group of musicians and singers. He did the chicken dance! 
We passed by an open fish spa! Yes I said fish spa. I had heard of this, but never actually saw one in action. Thought it to be gross! Small tropical fish, eat the dead skin off your feet. Come in, come in, the young woman beaconed. Clients assured me that it felt great. Ten euro, for fifteen minutes, what the heck! I’ve done some pretty weird stuff in my life but this one took the cake. It scared me at first and everyone had a good chuckle. It felt kind of prickly. Think I’ll pass on another though! 
We visited the Church of St. Spryidon. Here we lit a candle, grateful for our blessings and asked that our children and grandchildren be blessed. Another tearful moment. 
We enjoyed lunch at a small cafe, discussing our grand getaway! 
Needless to say we are back aboard ship and will never forget this magical day! We love Greece and most of all it’s people. OPA!!! Or is it Oomph? 
Whatever! It's all Greek to me! 

Pin It!

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

what a great looking village! love the windows and doorways and old streets!

Carole M. said...

beautiful photographs Rosemary and that would probably make me laugh having the fish foot-spa happening; ticklish? I'd love the dancin' in the streets bit; what fun people

Kathy Reed said...

I love the laundry and windows, too.all of it! My what a wonderful travelogue you are making with all your great photos, Rosemary! And all the people you are meeting! I'm catching up today..and I wish I could do a little Greek dance as well..safe traveling ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...