Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cartagena, Spain

First Light...
a photo at every turn, beauty everywhere...
City Hall
City Hall...
love the ornate embellishments...
and more embellishments...
city streets lined with cafes and great shopping...
I'm starting to develop a kink from looking up so often....
Some local color... he said no picture, until I made the money sign rubbing my fingers together...
Goodbye Cartagena...until we meet again...
Captivating...
“Cartagena, Spain, a city where fairy-tales are born.” I could only imagine a beautiful young princess by the name of Hannah, peeking out her castle window, watching many ships pass by. Her eyes the color of the Mediterranean. Her hair long, dark and wavy, alabaster skin, blushed with crushed pink marble, adorned her face. Her beauty was known far and wide, many a prince wished to win her hand. Princess Hannah, was far to ambitious for their meager proposals however, as she was studying hard. She would someday become Queen, of all the land. “THE END”
HeHe, Hannah is my beautiful grand-daughter. My fairy-tale for you sweet girl. Grandma, knows you can! 
We arrived, Tuesday, May 14th, 2013. I awoke in the most beautiful harbor one could possibly imagine. It was very early, I showered and ran to the aft deck to get my first light, photo of the day. 
Cartagena, is a magical city surrounded by mountains. Ancient fortresses, high atop several mountains and a castle outlined the horizon. Our floating hotel was tucked safely in an enclosed harbor. Palm trees lined the marble road, into the city. It was cool and a bit overcast, once again perfect for touring. We had not booked a tour here, as the ship would leave port at 1:00PM, the shortest stay in any port, for the entire cruise. It is less than a ten minute walk to the center of town, that is if one does not stop every minute to photograph. 
Be still my heart! Mary Mother of the Archangels, Mother Nature and the genius of man have created the most beautiful city I have ever seen. Blah! Blah! Blah, Rose! I know, I know, you have read this before, when I have described other ports. This time I really mean it! Honest! How much beauty can one person possibly withstand??? 
I have visited Cartagena, Columbia before, on a Panama Canal cruise. I did not even know or at least remember, that there existed, Cartagena Spain. 
Cartagena is a jewel, rich in antiquity and volumes of history have been written here. Words simply cannot describe what we saw or felt. I hope the pictures give you a small sense of what Cartagena, has to offer! Enjoy! Oh and yes, we will return!!!

Pin It!

2 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

city hall! wow!

Gail Dixon said...

Wow! That goodbye shot with the red tower is a stunner.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...